Tabor Group first started as Tabor Lodge in 1989 by the Sisters of Mercy to provide treatment for people suffering with addiction to alcohol. The original building at Tabor Lodge was known as “Ballindeasig House” and dates back to 1790. The house and grounds belonged to the Hennessy Family. The last surviving member of the Hennessy family to live at the house was Miss Minnie Hennessy who died in 1937. In her last will and testament, Minnie decided to leave Ballindeasig House and the surrounding 50 acres of farmland to the Bishop of Cork & Ross, Daniel Coholan. It was decided by the Bishop, in 1938, to convert the house into a holiday house for the Sisters of Mercy Order. It was known as St. Mary’s Convent, Ballindeasig. The Sisters of Mercy stayed there until 1989 when it was decided by the sisters to convert the building and surroundings into an Addiction Treatment Centre. The centre was named ‘Tabor Lodge’, the word ‘Tabor’ derived from the transfiguration of Christ at Mount Tabor.
In 1993, the Lord Mayor of Cork at the time, Cllr. Micheál Martin turned the sod on a proposed new extension to the existing building at Tabor Lodge to increase the bed capacity from 10 to 18. In 1995, a new state-of-the-art and purpose-built extension to the west of the original building was officially opened by Minister for Defence & Marine, the late Mr. Hugh Coveney, TD.
A Family Support Programme was developed in response to the recognition of the impact of addiction on the family unit. Family counselling services and support groups are delivered by Tabor Group for loved ones of those suffering from addiction whether they are receiving treatment by Tabor Group or not.
In 2002, the Board of Directors set up another addiction treatment centre, Tabor Fellowship, at Spur Hill overlooking Cork City.
2010 saw the formation of Tabor Lodge Addiction & Housing Services as a Limited Company incorporating all treatment centres under one name and brand. 2010 also saw the 21st Anniversary of Tabor Lodge which was marked with an event on 17th September 2010 at which Micheál Martin TD was the guest speaker. The 30th of October 2010 was also a memorable day in the history of Tabor Lodge when the President of Ireland, Mary McAleese visited the centre.
In 2016, Tabor Group won the award for Rehabilitation Clinic of the Year at the Irish Healthcare Centre Awards. This award recognises our innovative services and our success in reintegrating clients back into their community.
In late 2018, Senator Frances Black launched “An Evaluation of Tabor Group” report at Trinity College Dublin. Tabor Group, in partnership with the HSE, commissioned an external evaluation by Trinity College Dublin to assess the effects of Tabor Group’s treatment programmes and also to offer independent examination of the efficacy of the programmes, as well as the ‘goodness of fit’ of the treatment model.
In 2019, as part of Tabor Group’s 30th Anniversary celebrations, we hosted a one-day National conference in the Clayton Hotel Silver Springs. With 150 guests in attendance, the conference celebrated the development of addiction treatment over the years. Tabor Group also took the opportunity to unveil their Strategic Plan 2020 – 2030, which sets out their ambitious plans for the next 10 years.
Today, the company which is now known as Tabor Group is a leading provider of residential addiction treatment in Ireland, with two addiction treatment centres in Cork: Tabor Lodge and Tabor Fellowship. Tabor Group provides primary and integrated residential treatment programmes & community-based addiction treatment programmes to men and woman over 18 years of age, who are struggling with addiction to alcohol, drugs, and gambling. Tabor Group have continued to offer a Family Support Programme as well as a Continuing Care Programme, while adding a community-based education and training programme to its list of services in recent years.